Collectibles are defined as objects of a type that is valued or sought after by collectors. There are so many types of collectibles that it would be impossible to list them all in one article, but some of the more popular ones are definitely worth taking a look at.
Whether you’ve decided to start collecting objects for pure interest or for monetary purposes, there are many benefits for collectors.
Below you will find a list of the most popular and most valuable collectibles
among adults today:
1. Comic Books. Comic books have always been a very popular collectible. Back in the early 1900’s, most comic books were purchased for values between ten and fifteen cents. Many of those same comic books have been sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars today and some are said to be worth more. Not a bad payout if you ask us. The world’s most valuable comic book is Action Comics #1 (June 1938) which had a cover price of 10 cents at the time of publish. Its present worth is estimated at $350,000.
2. Sports Cards. Much like comic books, sports cards can potentially be very valuable pieces in a collector’s portfolio. Some of the most popular baseball and hockey cards have been sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars and some have estimated worths of more than a million dollars. The most valuable baseball card of all time, the Honus Wagner card from 1909, was sold in 2007 for a whopping 2.8 million dollars.
3. Stamps. Believe it or not, stamps are extremely valuable collectibles. The world’s most valuable stamp is said to be the unique 1857 ‘Tre Skilling Banco Swedish stamp. This stamp was reportedly auctioned off for 2.8 million Swiss Francs, which works out to 2.3 million US dollars. Who knew a tiny stamp could hold such a large value?
4. Coins. Coins remain one of the most sought after collectibles in the world. Many people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on coins that were originally worth less than a dollar. The most valuable coin in the world is the 1933 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle. This coin had a face value of $20 but was purchased at an auction in July of 2002 for an unbelievable $7.6 million dollars.
5. Dolls. Much like baseball cards and comic books for men, collectible dolls are a huge interest for many women. And while unopened Barbie dolls and porcelain dolls can be extremely valuable, the Swiss-made bird trainer doll (also known as the six million dollar doll) is the most expensive doll in the world with an estimated worth of 6 million dollars. The second most valuable doll is said to be worth a mere 230,000 by comparison.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our article on the most popular – and most valuable – collectibles for adults. Who knows, maybe one day you’ll sell your collectibles for millions of dollars.