Have you recently upgraded to Windows 7 and now have no sound? Maybe you purchased a new game and sound doesn’t work in it. Perhaps you updated Windows and now sound only works part of the time. These are all reasons you would want to download sound card drivers.
What are Sound Card Drivers?
Windows needs software to let it interact with your sound or audio card. This software is your sound or audio card drivers. Over time, Windows updates change Windows to the point that the program needs new sound card drivers to effectively talk to your sound or audio card. This is when updates are needed. When Windows operating systems are newer, there are more updates. After the dust settles and the kinks have been worked out, they will not need to be updated as frequently.
How to Download and Update Sound Card Drivers
The very first step is to know what card you are downloading for. So before we walk you through downloading drivers, we will walk you through knowing what your sound or audio card is.
1. Go to Start
2. In the Search Bar type Device Manager
3. Click Continue in the window that pops up
4. Click the + next to Sound, video, and game controllers
5. Make a note of the sound card’s manufacturer, make, and model.
6. Exit Device Manager
Now you know what your card is.
1. Using your preferred search engine, find the manufacturer’s site. (Examples: Turtle Beach, Creative, Realtek, etc.)
2. The manufacturer’s sites are all different, but you will find the downloads under either support or downloads. Sometimes Manufacturers make you go to support to get to downloads, sometimes they have a downloads section on the home page.
3. Go through the list until you find your model of sound card.
4. Download your driver, making a note of where you save it.
5. Go back into Device Manager.
6. Click the + next to Sound, video, and game controllers.
7. Double click Sound.
8. Click the Upgrade driver button.
9. Browse to where you saved the file, and update the driver.
10. At this point, Windows may want to restart. It is highly suggested you restart your computer at this time.
An Easier Way to Download and Update Your Sound Card Drivers
In today’s world, technology advances are made daily. Software advances are no exception, new programs to make our lives easier are coming out every day. One such program has recently come on the market that makes the above steps a thing of the past. A quick scan along with a few mouse clicks and your sound and audio card drivers are then downloaded and updated to the latest available. No hassle, no fuss, and a lot of time saved for more enjoyable tasks.